Air filter splash shield

As I said in my previous post, I’m worried that water may enter the air filter and cause some issues when driving in wet weather. This is because I have moved the air filter down behind the front bumper fog light. I had a small bit of metal plate laying around from my previous heat shield which I modded to fit around the bottom and front part of the air filter. It’s not the prettiest thing, and it will not prevent large splashes from entering the air filter, but it might help keeping the worst of it away. To prevent the air filter from moving to much, I made a couple of rudimentary brackets as well.

I also discovered a couple of bumps in the intercooler piping close to the turbo, which I suspect may be from parts being slung out when the previous turbo died. Need to check if there are some broke turbo parts in the intercooler before I fit it all together again.

Custom downpipe and turbo inlet pipe

As I’m fitting a non-standard turbo, I had to manufacture a new downpipe for the exhaust and a new turbo inlet pipe in addition to several other hoses and fittings. As I have never done this before, it was a good learning process and the result did turn out well enough.

Downpipe

The main goal here is to create a short pipe section that runs from the turbo to the original post-cat exhaust stub as the original cat does not fit the new turbo. The turbo (GT2860RS) came with a short 5-hole to 3in v-band fitting. For the other end, I cut of the other flange from the original cat. I bought several 3in pipes and bends in addition to a 3in to 2.5in reduction pipe as the original flange did not fit the 3in pipe directly. I welded the pipe together using a MIG with flux-core thread, which turned out ok, but the flux-core creates a lot of spatter and take a lot of work to get “pretty”. I might invest in some gas for my next project…

Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP)

As the original TIP didn’t fit the new turbos 3in inlet port, I had to make a new one. In addition to this, the new turbo sits closer to the front of the car than the original one making it hard to route a 3in pipe passed the headlight to the original position of the air filter. I had to route the pipe downwards under the front-bumper brace and outwards to the right side just behind the fog-light. I’m worried that this might cause issues in heavy rain if the air filter sucks in water, so I might create some kind of a shield protecting the air filter from water splashes.  

Oil pan and failed turbo particles

When I changed the oil-return pipe, I noticed something that looked like ball-bearing parts sitting in the oil-return hole in the oil pan. I decided to take of the oil pan to clean it and at the same time clean the oil-pickup pipe for the oil pump. Good thing I did as I found more shattered turbo-parts in the oil pan when I got it off the engine. I also found one of the engine mounts being broken, so I decided to replace both. I am also replacing the front engine snub mount and the sway bar end links.

Turbo downpipe mockup

Since I’m swapping to a new turbo and exhaust manifold, the old cat doesn’t fit the new flanges and position of the turbo. Bought me some exhaust pipes at Biltema the other day and did a test fitting earlier. Now I just need to get some welding equipment so I can weld it together.

Test fitting the new turbo

Ever since my turbo broke down just before the summer, I’ve been looking forward to getting back into the garage to pick it apart to see what had happened. It seems that the shaft snapped clean off at the compression side of the turbo causing the housing to crack open. I’m not sure what caused this, but it could be that the shaft had too much play since the bearings were worn down and it basically self destructed… My plan is to fit a Garret GT2860RS using a high-flow manifold with a T3 flange and fabricate a custom down-pipe instead of the original cat. I will also need to make a custom turbo intake pipe with all the fittings needed for it.

Garasjeprosjekt

Hei og velkommen tilbake! Nå er det på tide å skrive litt igjen. Grunnen til at all historikk er borte er at jeg fikk ødelagt databasefilene også orket jeg ikke bruke masse tid og energi på å forsøke å få de gjennopprettet. Fresh start sier nå jeg!

Vi har kjøpt oss hus! Og mest viktig av alt – vi har nå egen garasje! Jeg har brukt litt tid på å sette i stand garasjen, da med gulv, maling og arbeidsbenk så nå er jeg klar for litt mekking igjen.

Følg med fremover så kommer det nok en oppdatering i ny og ne 🙂