After completing the interior, it was time to go take a look at the engine. I had no information about when the cam-belt was last changed and I suspected the head gasket to be bad, so I decided to take the top off and change whatever I could find that looked old, broken or should be changed considering the car is almost 30 years old. I’ll type a list of parts I changed and post some pictures. The job was easy enough, but I took my time and fixed whatever I saw necessary.
- Head gasket and head cover seal
- Water pump
- Front crank seal
- Engine mounts
- Steering damper
- Oil cooler
- Oil filter
- Engine oil, power steering oil, coolant and brake fluid
- Clutch master and slave sylinder
- Replaced bad cooling and vacuum hoses
- Spark plugs
- Exhaust and inlet manifold gaskets
I also fitted the original air filter box, but I’m missing the heat shield towards the turbo and exhaust. Guess I’ll have to make something.
Good thing I decided to take the turbo water and oil lines of. The last guy working on the car had used liquid gaskets, and applied too much.. The hole was almost completely clogged up and would certainly be the end of the turbo.